What is a Veteran's property tax credit?

North Dakota Law NDCC 57-02-08(20) provides that land, fixtures, buildings and improvements up to the amount of $180,000 when owned and occupied as a homestead by a disabled veteran of the United States Armed Forces who was honorably discharged or who has been retired from the armed forces with an armed forces service-connected disability of 50% or greater, or is the unremarried surviving spouse of such a veteran may receive an exemption on their real estate taxes.

When filing for the exemption for the first time, you must complete and submit the Application for Disabled Veterans Property Tax Credit and attach the following information: 

  • A copy of the veteran's DD214 showing that the veteran was honorably discharged from active military service
  • A certificate from the Department of Veteran's Affairs certifying to the percentage of disability

The exemption is automatically renewed annually. However, the veteran or the veteran's unremarried spouse must refile if that person sells the property, or no longer claims it as a primary place of residence or if the veteran dies or receives a change in the percentage of the certified rated service-connected disability.

For any further questions, please contact the Assessor.

Disabled Veterans Property Tax Credit (PDF).

Show All Answers

1. What is a Veteran's property tax credit?
2. What is a Homestead Credit for low-income senior citizens and disabled persons?
3. What is the blind exemption?
4. Does the City of West Fargo have incentives for businesses?
5. What is a Renaissance Zone?
6. What is an appraisal and why does the City of West Fargo do it?
7. What is the wheelchair exemption?
8. Does the City of West Fargo participate in the low-income housing tax credit program?
9. How can I check my special assessment balance and/or pay off my balance?
10. Is there a charge for a building permit?