At 10:39 a.m., Saturday, November, 21 the West Fargo Fire Department responded to a call of a building fire at an apartment complex located at 3170 7th St. E. in West Fargo.
Upon arrival, crews discovered water coming out of an apartment unit. The resident of that unit was cooking with oil on the stove. The oil ignited and the resident moved the pan off the stove. The oil fire spread across the stove and on the rug in the dining area. The apartment complex was equipped with smoke alarms and a sprinkler system, which both activated. The sprinkler system extinguished the oil fire before it could spread any further.
Fire damage was minimal and the water damage was throughout the kitchen, dining and living area. Estimated fire loss was around $15,000. No fire department personnel were injured and the resident sustained a burn on their hand, which was treated on scene by West Fargo Fire Department EMT’s.
“This incident is a great reminder to cook safely this holiday season and remember to review cooking safety reminders,” said Dan Fuller, Fire Chief. “Remember to be on alert, check food regularly and to always cook with a lid beside your pan.”
For more cooking safety reminders, go here.