Using a Library Card FAQs
- Why did I receive a bill from the West Fargo Public Library?
The West Fargo Public Library does not charge late fees for overdue books. However, you may receive a bill if your item is significantly overdue. This is because our system is anticipating the item is lost or stolen and will need to be replaced. If you return the overdue item in good condition, you will not need to pay the fine.
There are a handful of items, such as technology and equipment, that do accrue late fees. Learn more about these in our Equipment Checkout Policy.
- What’s the password for my library card account?
The default password for your library card account is your last name. If you have problems signing into your account, please contact library staff by calling 701-515-5200.
- How many items may I check out at a time?
Most West Fargo Library cardholders are able to check out 50 items at a time, including 1 each of special items like hotspots, children's tablets, State Park Passes, etc.
Click here to view West Fargo Public Library Policies.
- How long can I keep an item checked out from the West Fargo Library?
Most materials may be checked out for up to three (3) weeks with the exception of the following:
- DVDs and State Park Passes have a 1-week loan period.
- Book Club Kits have an 8-week loan period.
- The loan period for digital electronic materials varies as they are automatically returned.
- The loan period for interlibrary loans varies based on the lending library.
- How do I renew an item if I need more time?
The West Fargo Public Library has an automatic auto-renewal service. This service automatically renews eligible, unreturned items for you. Most items can be auto-renewed twice if they are not on hold for another patron. You do not need to call, email or otherwise opt in to this service. It's automatic!
- Can my library card get me access to eBooks and audiobooks on my phone?
Yes! The West Fargo Public Library offers Libby and Hoopla. These services allow West Fargo Public Library cardholders (except reciprocity program cardholders) to read, listen, and watch digital media on their phone, tablet, or computer.
The library's primary mobile app is Libby, which is connected right to the library's catalog. All items featured in Libby are owned by the West Fargo Public Library or North Dakota ODIN Consortium for you to check out. You can place holds, check out eBooks, audiobooks and magazines, and much more in Libby. One popular feature is Libby's "Available Now" tab, which shows items with no waitlists.
Hoopla is another app available to West Fargo Public Library patrons which features more books and different types of media without waitlists, but it has some limitations. Cardholders are limited to five Hoopla checkouts per month and, because Hoopla charges the library for each and every checkout made, there is a daily spend cap in place.
- Where can I return books?
The library has three outside book drops where you can return books.
- One is located outside the entrance to the library at 215 Third St. E., West Fargo.
- The second is located inside Cash Wise at 755 33rd Ave. E., West Fargo.
- The third is located at Eagle Run Plaza at the corner of 32nd Ave. S. and Sheyenne Street.
Please note: These drop boxes are for returning West Fargo Public Library materials only. Please do not place garbage, personal belongings or items from other libraries (Fargo, Moorhead, school libraries, etc.) in West Fargo Public Library drop boxes. Please contact the library you checked your items out from for their drop box locations.
- Can I return Fargo Public Library books to the West Fargo Public Library?
No. You should ONLY use West Fargo Public Library book drop boxes to return items you have borrowed from the West Fargo Public Library or the Little Red Reading Bus of West Fargo. Fargo Public Library, LARL (Moorhead Public Library) and any items checked out from West Fargo schools must be returned to their respective libraries.
More information about how to get the most out of your library card can be found on the following pages:
Still can't find the answer you're looking for? Explore more FAQ pages using the menu on the left. Our staff are also happy to help! Give us a call during business hours or send us an email. Our contact information and open hours are on the bottom of the screen.